Think you are safe from cyber attack because you have antivirus software?
Research undertaken by The Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman indicates that 22 percent of small businesses breached by the WannaCry and Petya ransomware campaigns were so affected they could not continue operating. The research also states that 60 percent of small business that experience a significant cyber breach go out of business within the following six months.
An additional statistic highlighted by the guide is that 87 percent of small businesses believe their business is safe from cyber-attack because they use antivirus software.
Three quick cyber-safety tips from the Guide
- Undertake regular backups
- Patch applications
- Use complex passwords and two-step authentication
- Limit access to administrator accounts and sensitive information
- Communicate cyber-safe practices often
- Browse safe sites and ensure your staff do too
- Only allow applications you trust on your computers
- If you think an attack has happened, tell staff and authorities
- Restore backups from before the incident
- Consider cyber insurance.
© Commonwealth of Australia (Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise
Ombudsman) 2017 and 2018, Cyber Security Best Practice Guide